Car Insurance in Spain - Competitive Rates

The Insurance in Spain is a leading insurance agent in Spain who offers flexible, comprehensive and competitively priced motor insurance policies for people living in Spain.

It is a legal obligation in Spain to have at least a minimum third party liability insurance on your vehicle. Motor insurance is a little different in Spain compared to how it works in other countries. When you take out motor insurance in Spain you insure the vehicle, not the driver. Therefore any driver over the stipulated age on the policy can drive your vehicle as long as they have held a licence for longer than two years.

Breakdown assistance cover is included as you are not allowed to tow a vehicle yourself if you break down. It has to go on a tow truck.

Our motor insurance policies will insure you for all of Western Europe, and should you drive outside of Spain, you must request an international certificate (green card) as this provides proof of insurance.

It is not a legal requirement to have your insurance documents in the vehicle, but it certainly makes life easier if you do have a copy to show to the police should you get stopped in a police control, or if you are involved in an accident.

If a vehicle is written off in an accident, is stolen, or catches fire you will get paid a “book value” on the vehicle. Some companies will offer an extra 30% above book value, but this must be confirmed taking out your policy.

Fully comprehensive cover allows you to repair your vehicle straight away should an accident occur, or should damage be caused to your vehicle either by you or someone unknown. You can use your own policy to repair the damages. An excess is put on a car insurance policy to keep the yearly premium down.


What's Included ?

Green card
A green card is now also known as an international certificate of insurance or in Spanish – ¨certificado internacional de Seguro¨- (CIS) A green card is proof that you are insured and should you drive outside of the country where you took your insurance out you will need one. If you do not have a green card or (CIS) upon crossing the border into another country you could be obliged to take a basic border insurance to drive in the country concerned. The green card system started back in 1952 and 40 countries were involved with the agreement that the green card was proof of insurance. If you need a green card for travelling outside of Spain you must request it as they are not always automatically sent.
Roadside assistance
To be able to use the roadside assistance you must always contact the breakdown assistance number which will be issued with your policy. This service is a 24 hrs assistance and is a multi-lingual service. The cover is applicable from KM 0 (home start). Immobilisation due to a breakdown, accident, flat tyre, fuelling error, keys left in the car or a broken windscreen preventing normal transit is all covered Rescue and salvage of the insured vehicle is covered but limitations do apply. If you are further away from home and need assistance and it is late at night or the repair on your vehicle is going to take longer than 8 hours then your would be covered to stay in a hotel and repatriation to your home or destination will also be dealt with for both yourself and your passengers. The vehicle will also be repatriate to your home town.
Windscreen cover
Windscreens can crack or break due to the impact of small objects or strong vibrations. Should this happen then you are fully covered on your motor insurance policy to either replace or repair any of the windows on your vehicle. Also available is the option to request an appointment with the mobile unit that will travel to you and do the repair or replacement on the spot offering the same quality and guarantee as if done in a workshop. Should you have a broken glass claim this will not effect your no claims bonus.
Courtesy car cover
You can request that a courtesy car be included in your policy and this can be used in cases of immobilization of the insured vehicle due to an accident or a breakdown, fire and theft. Normally you are entitled to a Class C rent a car for a determined period of time but should you wish to have a larger car or an automatic this can be arranged but it has to be pointed out when taking out your insurance. To qualify for the courtesy car you have to meet the requirements of the major Spanish rental car companies.
Personal bilingual claims advisor
It is so important that if you have a car accident in Spain that you know that you have a company behind you that is going to take care of all the procedures from arranging for your car to go into the garage to be assessed by a surveyor, arranging the repair on the vehicle, liaising with the garage if there is a language problem, arranging a courtesy car for you and if there are personal injuries making sure that you are compensated adequately for the trauma that you have gone through due to the accident.
Legal defence
Cover is provided for the insured or any authorised driver of the insured vehicle in the event of a traffic accident in regards to legal proceedings brought against them or to reclaim against another company.

Why choose The Insurance Centre?

  • 30 years experience
  • Best prices in Spain
  • Dedicated 24/7 customer support
  • Flexible & extensive range of insurance products
  • Multi-lingual customer service agents
  • Award-winning agent


FAQs on Car Insurance

Who can drive my car?
Anyone over the age of 25 years that has held a license for longer than 2 years
If I have my car insured in Spain, am I covered to drive somebody else's car?
No, In Spain you insure the car not the driver.
If I am insured third party only do I have to pay an excess?
If you are only insured for third party cover then no excess is applicable
If I use the 24 Hrs assistance and I breakdown do I have to pay?
No, you must call the number on the breakdown card and the multilingual assistance team will assist you on getting your car picked up.

Write us a message